Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Spicy Tapatio Tuna Salad Wrap



Green Girl Goodies, August 2012

Those who have known me for a long time are probably very surprised to see a canned tuna recipe posted on my blog.  Ever since I can remember, I have felt very strongly about the stuff:  it smells and tastes like what I feed my cats.  Always sure I didn’t want to eat cat food, I have always avoided canned tuna, especially in the form of the always popular tuna salad.  I believe in giving things another try and when I made this version of tuna salad for my boyfriend I was shocked when I tasted it.  Not only was it edible, but it was enjoyable as well!  I wouldn’t go as far as to say tuna is my new favorite food but I will be working it into my eating routine a bit more.  I pick the tuna packed in water to avoid the extra fat!

Yield 2 large or 4 mini wraps/sandwiches (approximately 1 ½ cups)


1 5 oz can Tuna in water, drained
¼ c Celery, small dice


3 tb Red Pepper, small dice


3 tb Yellow Onion, small dice
1 tsp Jalapeno, minced


1 tb Mayonnaise
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
½ tsp Tapatio
½ tsp Lemon Juice
1 pinch Kosher Salt
6 turns Freshly Cracked Black Pepper

-     Drain the tuna well and mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl.

 
-     Let stand at least an hour to let the flavors combine.  The tuna salad with hold up to 4 days properly refrigerated.


FOR THE WRAPS:
 
2 8” Flour Tortillas
½ c Romaine Lettuce, shred
¼ c Spinach
4 ea Tomato Slices
Kosher Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper


-     Place a large saute pan over medium heat and place the tortilla inside, warming it slightly and making it more malleable.


-     Place the warmed tortilla on a plate and evenly distribute the spinach and lettuce over the center of the tortilla.


-     Place a layer of tuna salad over the lettuce.


-     Place tomato slices over the tuna salad.


-     Season the tomato slices with a pinch of salt and a pepper to your taste.


-    Fold the left and right ends in towards the center and roll up the tortilla as tightly as you can.  Pictured below is one large and one mini wrap:



Up Next…
Sweet Chile Lime and Apple Slaw


No comments:

Post a Comment