Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Spicy Dijon Strip Steak served with Avocado Mashed Potatoes and Sautéed Asparagus



Green Girl Goodies, August 2012

I am a firm believer that all food is fine for the body when enjoyed in moderation.  While most of the time I eat a vegan diet rich in fruits, vegetables and whole grains every once in a while, I too crave a nice juicy steak.  In this case I added a little Sriracha to spice up a simple Worcestershire-Dijon marinade and served the steak with asparagus and potatoes for a complete balanced meal.  To minimize the amount of animal fats I used in the mashed potatoes I added some avocado to make the potatoes creamier. 

Yield 2 servings

FOR THE STEAK: 

2 ea Strip Steaks

Spicy Dijon Marinade:

1 “Z” per steak Sriracha Sauce


1 tsp Garlic, minced (1/2 on each steak)


1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce split between both steaks


1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil split between both steaks


½ tsp Dijon Mustard split between both steaks


1 pinch Kosher Salt per steak


7 turns Freshly Crushed Black Pepper per steak


-     Rub the marinade onto the steaks and let the stand at least 2 hours or up to overnight.


-     I normally would grill the steaks but since I sadly don’t have a grill at the moment, I pan seared them in a cast iron pan.


-     I used a ½ c of wine to deglaze the hot pan and make a sauce for my steak as well.



FOR THE POTATOES:


Avocado Mashed Potatoes

3 med Red Potatoes (approximately 10 – 12 oz)
½ ea Avocado
2 tsp Garlic, minced and caramelized
1 ½ tb Light Sour Cream
1 tb Butter
2 ½ tsp Sea Salt
14 turns Freshly Cracked Black Pepper

-     Boil the potatoes in water with the skin on until soft when punctured with a fork.  Drain and mash the potatoes.

-     Heat the butter and garlic.  Add the heated butter and remaining ingredients to the potatoes and mix well.  Keep hot until ready to eat!

The whole meal came together nicely and my lack of a grill made for a delicious pan sauce for my steak.  Unfortunately my boyfriend made the asparagus so I have no recipe to include here.


He did a very simple quick preparation and sautéed the asparagus in olive oil with minced fresh garlic, salt and pepper.   If you feel more comfortable, broil your asparagus tossed in the same ingredients and if you don’t like asparagus, broccoli would also go nicely with this meal!

  

Up Next…
Spicy Tapatio Tuna Salad Wrap





No comments:

Post a Comment