Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Spam, Rice, & Eggs (a.k.a. Hawaiian Breakfast)


Green Girl Goodies, February 2012

When my boyfriend first made this for me, I initially turned up my nose in disgust. Spam!? Since I’ve tried it I have to admit it is one of my favorite guilty pleasure breakfasts. Still common in Hawaii, this spam breakfast is usually served with white rice but we use brown to add a bit of earthy flavor (and a bit of a healthy touch!). The key is to cut the spam very thin so it gets crispy in the oven. Quick, easy and delicious, I urge you to overlook the spam and give it a shot!

Yield 4 to 6 servings

8 to 12 eggs
1 can Spam, sliced in very thin strips (approximately 1/16th inch thick)
2 c Brown Rice, uncooked
Soy Sauce, to taste

- Start rice on the stove or in a rice cooker and preheat the oven to 375.


- Place the thinly sliced spam on a cookie sheet and place in the oven.


- Cook the spam for approximately 8 minutes until starting to crisp on the edges. Rotate the pan and cook for another 4 to 6 minutes until golden brown almost all the way thru.



- Cook your eggs to desired doneness and season with salt and pepper to taste.


- Place the rice in a bowl and garnish with soy sauce.


- Place the eggs and spam over the rice and enjoy!



Up Next…

Huevos de Cebollas

No comments:

Post a Comment