Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Sweet Chile Lime Chicken Salad



Green Girl Goodies, July 2012 inspired by Chef “E” Eric Sundstrom

This delicious take on the chicken salad was inspired by a former co-worker, amazingly talented chef and dear friend Eric Sundstrom.  Eric and I worked together for 2 years with an awesome team feeding the people at the Electronic Arts headquarters.  One of the best jobs I have ever had not only because of the people I met but because of what I learned from them while cooking and working there.  Most importantly, I learned not to cut corners and to take pride in all food I put forth both in regard to taste and presentation. 

Eric was and is always great about documenting his adventures in cooking.  I saw his Sweet Chile Chicken Salad stuffed in an avocado on Facebook and was immediately motivated to create a version of my own to enjoy states away.  Eric’s creativity with a myriad of ingredients has never ceased to amaze and encourages me to push my own envelope.

One love Chef E :)

Yield approximately 3 ¼ cups

FOR THE CHICKEN:

8 oz Chicken Breast, boneless/skinless with tender


Sweet Chile Lime Marinade:

2 tb Sweet Chile Sauce (preferably Mae Ploy)
1 tb Lime Juice
1 tb Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tsp Kosher Salt
1 tsp Garlic Powder

-          Combine all ingredients excluding the chicken the blend well.
-          Pour the marinade over the chicken and place into a container, making sure it is all covered.


-        Marinate for at least a ½ hour up to 2 hours.  Grill or bake until cooked thoroughly to 165 degrees and still moist.  Baste with the marinade occasionally throughout the cooking process.
-          Once cooked set aside the chicken to cool completely before using.  While the chicken cools, begin preparing the other ingredients.

FOR THE SALAD:

1 ½ c Sweet Chile Lime Chicken Breast, cooked and small diced*
¾ c Red Onion, small dice
½ c Red Pepper, small dice
½ c Celery, small dice
2 tb Cilantro, minced
2 tsp Jalapeno, minced with the seeds
¼ c Mayonnaise
1 tb Lime Juice
½ tsp Kosher Salt
15 turns of freshly cracked Black Pepper


-          Dice the cooled chicken into small cubes.

-          Mix all of the ingredients together and let stand for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days properly refrigerated.


SERVING OPTIONS:

1 ea Avocado
3 ea Thick (1/4”) Slices Roma Tomato
2 ea Bread, sliced

Inspired by Chef E and excited about this lighter way to enjoy chicken salad, I cut an avocado in half and removed a little extra from the middle to make more room for the salad. 


-          Next fill the center of the hollowed out avocado with the chicken salad.


My boyfriend was looking for a slightly more filling meal so we made his chicken salad into a sandwich. 

-          First I used the middles I had removed from my hollowed out avocado and spread them on the bread.


-          Then I placed the tomatoes on top, then the salad.

Up Next…
Southwest Breakfast Burritos with Tofu, Turkey Bacon and Avocado




1 comment:

  1. This recipe look so delicious! I can't wait to try it. Thanks Green Girl!

    ReplyDelete