Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Quick and Easy Vegetarian Quesadillas


Green Girl Goodies, September 2012


Throughout my childhood one of my favorite after school snacks my mom made for me was a mini cheese quesadilla.  Ever since, the delightful combination of rich creamy melted cheese sandwiched between tortillas has held a special place in my heart.  Despite any efforts to become a true vegan, I have to say cheese is my biggest weakness and cheese quesadillas fall second only to a great slice of pizza.  In an effort to give the quesadilla a bit more nutritional value I added some vegetables to the inside and a little lettuce on top.  For a spicy kick and a little more flavor I added my favorite hot sauce, Cholula.


Yield 2 – 4 EntrĂ©e Portions or 4 – 8 Appetizer Portions

4 ea 10” Flour Tortillas
1 c Shredded Cheese (I used Colby Jack)
4 pinches Kosher Salt

I chose to use whatever vegetables I had on hand but you could really use anything that sounds good to you.  Keep in mind the quantities so as not to overload the quesadilla.  Too many veggies and the cheese won’t hold together.  Also, keep in mind the water content of the vegetables otherwise you will end up with a soggy quesadilla!


½ c Tomatoes, small dice*
½ c Yellow Pepper, small dice*
½ c Yellow Onion, small dice
¼ c Cilantro, rough chop
1 ½ c Romaine Lettuce, shred


*Heaping Cup

-     Preheat the oven to 375.  Lay 2 tortillas on an ungreased baking sheet.


-     Sprinkle ¼ c of cheese on each tortilla.


-     Evenly distribute all the vegetables except for the lettuce over the cheese layer.


-     Split the remaining ½ c of cheese and sprinkle it over the vegetable layer on each quesadilla.  Then sprinkle 2 pinches of salt over the cheese and vegetables.


-     Cover the second cheese layer with the remaining tortillas.  Place the quesadillas in the oven and bake for 7 minutes.


-     Rotate the pan and cook for approximately 2 minutes or until the tortilla is light brown and crispy around the edges.


-     Cut the quesadillas into the desired serving size.  They are shown below topped with the shredded lettuce and my favorite hot sauce, Cholula. 



Up Next: 
Crispy Spicy Tofu served with Stir-fried Vegetables

No comments:

Post a Comment